Where do pretzels go on vacation?
April 26th is National Pretzel Day! I for one, had no idea that this was such a thing. I found out some interesting facts about Pretzels on this fine Monday Morning.
- Americans on average snack on about 2lbs of pretzels per year
- Philadelphians eat about 12lbs of pretzels per year
- The first pretzel is believed to have been made by Italian monks
- The shape is to resemble arms crossed in prayers
- 80% of American pretzels are made from Pennsylvania
- Pretzels were used as Christmas tree decorations
- The Guinness Book of World Records largest pretzel ever made weighed 1,728lbs
- The first hard pretzel was first made in the late 17th century in Pennsylvania
- Over $550 Million of pretzels are sold in the United States each year
- Workers in the early 1900s could twist pretzels at a rate of 40/minute
- Pretzel loops were to be symbolized as undying love as well as “typing the knot”
If you want a FREE pretzel head on over to your local Philly Soft Pretzel Factory as well if you are a member of Auntie Anne’s Pretzel Perk.