This last week has been a wild roller coaster ride of emotions for Marvel fans wondering what the future of the MCU was going to look like with the iconic web-slinger, and if Sony was going to try and reboot the character for the 3,000th time.
Well, as first reported by cosmicbook.news, Disney and Marvel have reportedly come to a new agreement that would put Spider-Man back into the MCU for awhile, along with some other major characters.
DISCLAIMER: This hasn’t been confirmed by other news report stations, but if this turns out to be true then holy shit..
Let’s breakdown this deal real quick for y’all cause this gets pretty fucking sweet if you’re a Spider-Man fan:
- After the third installment of Tom Holland’s Spider-Man, Disney and Sony have agreed to a contract with Tom Holland for 6 more movies with an option for a 7th!
- Three of those movies will be standalone Spider-Man movies, kind of like a second trilogy, focusing on his college years where he will team up with Firestar and Ice Man from the X-Men.
- 2 of those movies will be new Avengers movies in which he will be a lead character now and develop a closer relationship with Johnny Storm aka The Human Torch from The Fantastic Four.
- Marvel Studios will again helm production on the films for 30% of the movie profits.
- Sony will distribute the films, but Disney will have exclusive digital and online rights.
- Marvel studios will now also helm and co-finance live action spin offs for Into the SpiderVerse
- If Sony is purchased by another company (like let’s say Apple), the Spider-Man film rights will be given to Disney
- Venom will be crossing over into the MCU
That news is HUGE!
Venom is one of the most iconic villains of Spider-Man and was already butchered once by Sony when they gave us this pipsqueak as the first Venom…
What a joke….
And then Sony kind of redeemed the character with the release of Venom. I love Tom Hardy so I won’t say anything bad about his performance, although he was a little too broody for Eddie Brock, he was wayyy better than Topher. Venom as a character though was fucking sweet and a lot more like the comic book version. The storyline in that movie, however, was a bit cheesy and was simple. Pretty average movie overall. I’d be happy though if they kept Tom Hardy as Venom and just had Marvel write the character because I know it would come out as gold.
Tomorrow is the D23 expo and Spider-Man is reportedly part of the panel and I’m hoping this sort of cryptic Instagram picture is all we need as confirmation that this is true. Could just be a picture of them hanging out though. Again some people look way too far into this, but I’m hoping it’s true…
Scroll to the last picture if you get the whole post.
Featured Image: cosmicbook.news