Going back to work after a LONG holiday vacation is quite possibly one of the absolute worst feelings of all time. I went to bed late as fuck for the last 10 days and I woke up without an alarm clock almost every single morning. I took full advantage of not having work from December 22nd to January 1st as I’m sure most of the working population did as well. I honestly slept most of New Years Day because well New Years Eve I drank most of the wine in New York State. So today…I woke up and thought “why didn’t I win the Mega Millions last night??” However, somehow, by some miracle, I still got up, and got myself ready for work.
This article is for those of you experiencing the “post holiday blues” today that need some tips to help get you through:
1. Exercise. Even if you really didn’t want to work out today or your mind is saying “HELL NO,” get yourself sweating for at least 20 minutes today, even if it’s going for a walk on your lunch break with another coworker. Endorphins are proven to make people happy. If you feel like a huge tub of shit today from all the holiday food and over sleeping and laziness the last week and a half, this is bound to boost your mood and get you back in the swing of things.
2. Clean out your fridge. You’re probably thinking why would I do that and how will this help me? You just spent days even weeks eating so much cheese and bread and desserts and now your body is going through a cholesterol, carb, alcohol overload hangover. Do you want to be reminded of the way you treated your temple of a body over the holidays? I sure as fuck don’t. Clean out the fridge. Dump the leftovers. Go get new food. Trust me, you’ll thank me later.
3. Don’t make a New Years resolution. This one is simple. In my opinion, resolutions are stupid. You say that you are going to do something for an entire year, and let’s be honest, most people don’t stick to that, then you look and feel like an asshole because you failed. I’m all about bettering one’s self and improving quality of life but instead of putting pressure on yourself to make this yearly resolution happen, set weekly or monthly goals for yourself instead. They’ll be more reachable to accomplish and can be adjusted as the weeks and months go on. You’ll probably even end up getting more done in the long run.
4. Do something for yourself today. I know. That’s a tough one to grasp because some of us have kids and so much shit to do today during and after work, but the biggest issue in returning to work after the holidays is setting too high of expectations for ourselves IMMEDIATELY. I fully intend on getting my nails done after work today and I don’t give a damn if it takes an hour out of my day. It’s for me and I need it and I need to feel pretty so suck on that.
5. Have sex. No I am not kidding. It’s really quite simple. Grab your husband, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, fuck buddy, best friend, whoever it is that you have sex with and get to it. Research has been proven to show that sex has amazing benefits for one’s health and overall well being. It improves longevity and mental health. Who needs a mental health boost more than someone who just went on a 10 day holiday bender? Also-you can technically skip tip #1 because sex is pretty much cardio. Right?
Your first week back from the holidays is all about readjusting and resuming your once regular routine. We all feel like shit today. We all want to be in bed watching Netflix with a giant bowl of popcorn while simultaneously drinking wine out of the bottle (or am I the only one who does that?)… Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t check off all the items on your to do list the very first day back at work. Get done what you can. Don’t forget to breathe, laugh and drink lots of water.
And just know, we all are in this together.