I was going through some of my recipes yesterday night and was having a hard time deciding if I wanted to do a Halloween themed “Man Bait” this week OR go with something I always make around this time of year. I decided to go with the second option because I think more people will actually make this amazingness I’m about to share with all of you.
It’s the end of October and it’s starting to get cold as ever. I freaking hate the cold, BUT when that happens, I immediately start thinking about Chili recipes! I love chili. It’s one of those recipes that every person makes differently. I’m pretty sure they even have chili cook offs in a lot of places because 20 people could enter the contest and every single persons entry would taste differently but delicious and I love that. My dad makes a mean chili so when I started to experiment, I wanted to come up with something different than his since he most likely can put anyone’s typical chili recipes to shame. Shout out to my dad for making me reach for the stars on this kick ass recipe you’re about to experience.
I have made chili in many different ways, but what I discovered is that a sweet and spicy chili is my absolute favorite. God, IT IS SOOOOO GOOD. I make it in my crock pot, so yeah, it’s super easy.
So here it is:
Recipe: Murt’s Sweet & Spicy Crockpot Chili
Pair with: An ice cold Stella
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups sweet onions such as Vidalia, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 pound Italian hot sausage, removed from casing
- 1 pound 80/20 ground beef
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 2 6-ounce cans tomato paste
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce (I like Contadina brand but any will do)
- 1 16-ounce can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 22-ounce can Bush’s Grillin’ Beans (Bourbon and Brown Sugar)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Juice from one lime
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour Cream
- Saltine Crackers and Fritos to serve with chili *(Shout to my sis for introducing me to dipping Fritos in chili-GAME CHANGER)
1. In a large sauté pan, melt butter in two tablespoons of oil over medium heat.
2. Add bell peppers, onions and garlic and sauté for about 10 minutes to caramelize the vegetables, then put them into the crock pot.
3. Heat up your pan to medium heat with the leftover oil and cook the ground beef and sausage until they are browned.
4. Once the meat is brown, pour all of this into the crock pot on top of the vegetables.
The next step is super easy….
5. Next add ALL other ingredients on the list to the crock pot except the lime, cheddar cheese, sour cream, crackers and Fritos.
6. Stir, cover and set crock pot to low heat and cook for five hours.
7. After 5 hours, add the lime juice and stir.
8. Serve chili with cheddar cheese, sour cream, saltines, Fritos and ENJOY!!!
(I made mine with some corn bread on the side cause I’m savage). See below!
I know. I know. You’re all drooling and running to the super market to gather ingredients. Trust me, it’s so freaking worth it. Also, you will literally have enough chili to keep you warm through pretty much all of winter. It makes a shit ton of servings. So either save what you have left in the freezer OR have your friends over to share in the yumminess while you’re watching some sports.
I hope my dad reads this and tries out my recipe and it makes him proud that he’s raised a chili lover like himself.
Oh, And obviously I can’t forget the alcohol portion of this article. Pair this chili with an ice cold Stella. Why? Because Stella is my favorite beer and it goes perfect with the best meal you’ll have all week….maybe even all month.
You’re welcome, cheers & enjoy!