I think by now everyone knows I love food. I write a recipe segment for Branded every week called “Man Bait” which I think gives it away. What you all may not know is that I happen to have a huge candy obsession, so Halloween just so happens to be one of my favorite times of year. I am 100% that person who buys Halloween candy and eats it before Halloween even happens. I always have candy bars in my fridge incase my sweet tooth needs some lovin’ and my future adorable step son is not a candy lover so when he goes trick or treating, he gives me a shit ton of his candy because he’s awesome.
Halloween candy comes in all shapes, flavors and sizes, but what are the top Halloween candies?? Since I’m so well versed in candy and Halloween is only 5 days away, I think my list will break it down real nice.
10. Nerds-Nerds are just little sugar bombs with a slight hint of fruit flavor and they are simply amazing.
9. KitKat-“Gimme a break,” of course KitKat makes the top 10. Its a chocolaty, wafery, crunchy, yummy little candy sandwich.
8. Baby Ruth-First of all, it was the star candy in one of my favorite childhood movies “The Goonies.” Second of all, the nougat they use inside it’s so god damn addicting.
7. M&M’s-If they were embedded in a cookie or something, they might be in the top 5, but M&Ms are still pretty great on their own. Peanut butter M&Ms are my number 1 in the M&M category.
6. Skittles-Pretty sure when you eat Skittles, the fruity sugariness goes directly into your blood stream and I’m totally okay with that.
5. Butterfinger-Not gonna lie, sometimes I put Butterfingers in the microwave and the peanut-buttery toffee inside is even more chewy and delicious.
4. Milky Way-I’ve always been a huge fan of the Milky Way because I truly believe the caramel inside is the best in any candy bar. Also, they taste incredible when frozen.
3. Snickers-It’s the heartiest of all candy bars. Chocolate, peanuts, caramel and nougat all packed in one perfect candy bar. I remember reading somewhere that The Rock eats one before every one of his work outs and well I happen to love him. I also chipped a tooth once on a Snickers bar and it didn’t change my love for them, so that’s gotta be saying something. (Side note: when Snickers recently came out with the limited edition “sweet and salty” flavor, I used to make my fiancé go to the store and get them for me like every single night).
2. Twix-Mmmm. That cookie crunch. That hard caramel. The yummy chocolate. I like freezing them, then taking them apart layer by layer. It is the perfect balanced candy bar from top to bottom.
1. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups-Without a doubt, Reese’s are the best candy there is. It is the perfect combination of peanut butter and chocolate. I have a bag in my fridge right now and it’s all mine and I’m not sharing with anyone. As the commercial says, “there’s no wrong way to eat a Reese’s” and that’s because everything about them is oh so right.
Also if you missed my Man Bait Recipe involving the lists #1 candy, Reese’s, you can read it here:
Well there you have it. My top ten Halloween candies in order. There were a few honorable mentions such as Sour Patch Kids, Twizzlers and Nestles Crunch, but they didn’t quite make the cut.
Now my advice to you is if you have kids, you’re golden and can use them to get some good candy. If you don’t have kids, then you’re still in luck because all the stores sell Halloween candy half off on November 1st and to me, that is like a god damn holiday in itself.
Ps. Any wine pairs well with Halloween candy.