Fall means a couple of things. You can get comfy in your sweats as soon as you get home from work. You’ll notice women wearing more black than usual and the amount of Ugg Boots being worn will start to slowly creep up on ya. Red wine and whisky will slowly start replacing white wine and vodka (unless you’re me, I don’t discriminate based on season)…..
and the best thing of all…
IT’S OFFICIALLY SOUP SEASON!!!!
I absolutely positively whole heartedly fucking LOVE soup! It’s one of the most comforting foods and there are just so many choices. In the warmer months, it’s very rare that you make a huge pot of soup because well, it’s too hot, but come Fall, it’s honestly one of my favorite things on the menu. I’m going to keep it basic today and hit you guys with one of my best soup recipes. It’s a classic chicken noodle soup that I make in my crockpot and it’s super easy and unbelievably tasty.
This is a great recipe to put in the crockpot in the morning and have it ready for dinner! Just “set it and forget it” as I like to say.
Recipe: MURT’S CROCKPOT CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
Pair with: Pinot Noir
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- 8 cups chicken stock (not broth-I will explain in directions)
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 sweet onion (diced)
- 3 carrots (peeled and diced)
- 3 to 4 celery stalks (diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 ounces spaghetti, broken into thirds
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Turn your crockpot on to low heat
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides and place in the bottom of the crockpot
- Pour in your chicken stock (you can either make your own or buy the box chicken stock-I like Emeril’s and Rachel Ray’s brand-you can find at pretty much all super markets) *chicken stock has a stronger, richer flavor than chicken broth because it’s made from the bones so make sure you get stock!
- Stir in the garlic, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours
- After 6-8 hours, remove the chicken from the crock pot and shred it with 2 forks then stir it back in the crock pot (it will shred very easily, don’t worry)
- Take your broken up pasta, and put it in the crock pot. Cover and cook on low heat for 30 minutes so pasta can become tender
- Stir in the lemon juice, salt, pepper and parsley and then eat your delicious soup!
That’s it! It really is such a delicious chicken noodle soup recipe. It’s full of so many flavors and it’s the ultimate comfort food on a cold Fall day while you’re curled up in your sweats watching some football! This recipe makes about 8-10 servings of soup so invite your friends over and warm them up!
Pair this soup with a nice Pinot Noir to bring out the flavors of the soup even more.
I bet you all feel warm and cozy inside just reading this recipe. Lemme know what you think once you make it. I’ll most likely be making this at some point in the next week because now I’m craving it after writing this article.
As always, you’re welcome 😉